Monday, May 9, 2011

How it started - A view from my side....

If you read my daughter Lindsey's post,  you will pretty much get the picture of our journey over the last 2 years.  While she started out heavier than I,  I had the award of being overweight far longer than she had.  Looking back,  I had been 20 pounds overweight most of my teen age years,  and then 40 pounds overweight by the time I got married at age 19...  The weight slowly crept on... year after year...Until I too tripped over that 300 pound mark.  At 5'10... that is an incredible amount of weight to be hauling around.

2 years ago,  my life consisted of food,  anti-inflammatory's for the constant knee / hip/ back pain  ,  blood pressure medications, and antacids.  It was not unusual for me to take 12-16 tylenol and 20 tums a day!  Oh yeah ,  I was killing myself with food... and I enjoyed every last bite... until I laid down at night and would promise myself that tomorrow would be different,  I would change my habits,  please lord,  just let me live through another night...

When Linz decided that she was ready for this journey,  I went kicking and screaming along with her.    I had NEVER seriously been to a gym before... (oh I had joined one twice... but never actually showed up...)  but we got lucky.  There was a Bally's gym 1 mile from the house.. no excuses about it was too far away....  And they were having a great membership drive... so CHEAP!  no excuses about it was too expensive....  And they were friendly and welcoming... no excuse about everyone is going to look at me and make fun of me.  Damn,  I can't get out of this.  

My first time at the gym,  I got on the treadmill.. put it on 3.2  (a slow walk..)  and managed to stay on for 10 minutes straight..  I got off sweaty,  sore kneed,  and embarrassed that I could only last 10 minutes.. And there became the birth of the first goal.   I want to be able to stay on for 30 minutes....  

And that truly has been my weight loss journey... Small seemingly ridiculous goals that move me from one step to the next.    30 minutes on the treadmill took almost a month to achieve... then it was  30 minutes at 3.5 .. a couple more weeks to get to that ...  but every time I would hit these little milestones,  I would have a minute of hell ya!  and the next minute I would look around and say.. okay what's next.    That is why this time I have had success and have truly made this a life changing event.   From the 49 1/2 year old woman who couldn't make it 10 minutes on a treadmill at a walk... to a 51 1/2 year old woman who just completed her second 10K,  and is setting my sights on a half marathon this fall and a 1/2 Iron man in 2012...

So if you are intrigued.. If you need a cheer leader,  ,  If you think you can't do this.. YOU ARE WRONG!   We will blog about our journey to this point, share what worked,  and what didn't..  Talk about our current training...  and hopefully you will come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment